SyroImpact is a call-to-action for SyroMalabar communities across to respond to Pope Francis’ call for “a church for the poor.”
What is SyroImpact?
SyroImpact is a resource guide for the SyroMalabar Catholic faithful in the United States to coordinate and participate in charity activities to serve the most vulnerable within our society.
Stephen White of American Magazine: “We can identify two ways that the church is for the poor. The first is that the church seeks to provide for the needs of the materially and spiritually poor. We typically associate this first way of being for the poor with works of mercy. The 25th chapter of Matthew’s Gospel sets forth our obligations to the “least of these”: feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, welcome the stranger, clothe the naked, care for the sick, visit the imprisoned. There are also, of course, the spiritual works of mercy: instruct the ignorant, counsel the doubtful, admonish sinners, suffer wrongs with patience, forgive willingly, comfort the afflicted and pray for the living and dead. These are concrete ways in which the church can be for the poor, providing material and spiritual goods that are otherwise lacking.”
Suggestions for SyroMalabar Parishes/Missions:
- Coordinate Multiple Donation Drives for local institutions: donations from food and material (coats, other clothing, etc) drives can be directed to a local pantry, community center and/or school in need.
- Host A Monthly Soup Kitchen: partner with a local community center which can advertise the vulnerable members of society who can benefit a soup kitchen.
- People-In-Need Immersion Trips: fundraise, put together care packages and make them available to the homeless in your city.
- Regular Volunteer Calendar: organize consistent volunteer events for parish members to engage in.
- Fundraise for Local Organizations: fundraise for local organizations on Christmas or other key holidays via food sales/fundraising activities.